Janesville residents watched vaudeville and other stage productions seven days a week at the Apollo Theater, built in 1912 at 306-308 West Milwaukee Street.
The theater could seat 700-800 on the main floor, the balcony, and box seats. This photograph was taken about 1943 when the theater showed films.
After the Second World War, the theater closed and was remodeled into an office building called the Cullen Building. The Rock County Department of Social Services occupied the building for a number of years, but in 1997, it was torn down to make way for a parking lot.